Friday 2 May 2014

Lord Desai, Amartya Sen, what spirit of secularism?


Many intellectuals like Dr. Amartya Sen, Lord Meghnad Desai, and of late some leading Indian journalists like Shekhar Gupta have been writing about the death of secularism.

I’m not a political commentator, student of politics, an intellectual or a journalist. Far from these, all I am is just 1 vote, to be exercised once every 5 years. That’s something, given that I’ll probably have just 10-12 opportunities in a lifetime. That leaves me about 4-5 opportunities in the future, and that’s it. Gives me something to think about, doesn’t it?

When someone suggests to people like me that I may be representing a thought process supporting the death of secularism in India, I find it really difficult to digest. There are really 3 lines of consideration I put behind my vote.

I voted against mismanagement. I voted for hope. I voted to uphold the spirit of the Constitution of India. Let me expand.

Mismanagement is a no brainer. I voted against a stagnating system, incredible and never seen before levels of corruption, uncontrolled inflation, unchecked terrorism, violence against women, ancient infrastructure (the best known highway we have was built by Sher Shah Suri), a declining economy, unfulfilled and undelivered dreams (read jobs), a steady decline in the country’s reputation…the list can go on and on.    

I voted for hope. I voted for a change from nepotism of an unimaginable order, I voted for meritocracy (even the worse is better than a family business that repeatedly undermines the very tenets of government, and of our Constitution, by playing the game of puppets), and against an inept looking and worse sounding option for a leader. I voted so that we can hopefully see a working model in the entire country that has won favor in Chattisgarh, MP, Rajasthan and Gujarat (obviously something works). I voted for a different promise – development and good governance, and against divisive reservations and subsidies.

I voted to uphold the spirit of the Constitution. The Constitution is a pledge taken by “we, the people of India”. That includes every religion, caste, creed, or other sub-division ever created. The constitution promises equality for all. I voted for the equality of all Indians. As a mainstream Hindu without a sub-caste or sub-tribe badge to show off, I feel unequal and disadvantaged. I don’t have a Government appointed commission or some such body protecting my rights. I don’t want one. I don’t have reservations. I don’t want them.  I don’t much care for the concept of domicile rights which make me feel like an outsider anywhere outside Delhi. I just want to be treated as an equal Indian, without having to define my religion, caste, tribe, religion, region or any such sub-division through which I can get more than another Indian can. I voted against great favors done to people, with the expectation that they cast their vote to the giver in return.  All Indians should have the freedom to exercise all their rights anywhere in the country.  I voted for the abolition of regionally divisive politics. I voted for people to be allowed to wear their identity without fear or temptation. I voted for the abolition of special status of states, which is the longest standing and most visible symbol of division. I voted to make people understand that the secular framework of this country is inclusive of Hindus. I voted for us not to highlight people through their divisions because it makes them stand out, and therefore makes them victims or perpetrators, and tools of unscrupulous political agendas.  I voted for the one party that is giving this message openly. I voted for equality, development, and good governance, not for Right Wing Hinduism. I voted for what the Constitution of this country promises me.

In the face of all this lies the dilemma of the 2002 incidents in Gujarat. I’m not an investigator, nor a legal expert. However, I do know there cannot be smoke without fire. But I’m not naive, nor am I blind to the number of fires that have burnt this nation, and who the arsonists were. How long are we expected to believe that nothing of the nature ever happened outside of Gujarat 2002? And should we be basing our future on incidents of over a decade, and sometimes over 2 decades ago? The world has to move on. I voted for the people who are talking about what moving on looks like.
In Indian politics, smoke there is in plenty. The moot question is about the architects of the division of our people. It is that divisiveness that is at the root of the fires that have burnt, that should never burn again. But when the architects continue to demonstrate that they have no intention of changing their politics (e.g. Jats getting OBC status on the eve of the elections), then the likes of Lord Desai, Amartya Sen and Shekhar Gupta need to open their eyes a bit wider, and see the larger picture. Our secularism can’t be about Hindu’s, Muslims, Sikhs and Christians. It has to be about Indians.

In the meantime, the Indian in me looks forward to Biryani and Sevian on Eid, Plum Cake on Christmas, my kids decorating a Christmas tree every year, the annual Christmas party in our community (we have no idea how many Christians live in our condo, and it doesn’t matter), we had an Akhand Path at home when my father passed on... and of course, there’s Diwali, Holi and all of the other stuff too, when all my friends, whose names I don’t care to check, send me good wishes from themselves and their families. I don’t know whether my several housemaids are Ahirs, Jats, Mizos, Meenas or whatever. They have free access to my kitchen, and to any part of my house their work takes them to. That’s the India I voted for.

No comments:

Post a Comment